Thursday, July 8, 2004

Chiggers

Anyone who has ever had a brush with chiggers has a tale to tell of the pain and suffering those almost invisible beasts can inflict.

Several friends and I recently had a brush with chiggers. Because of the extensive product experiementation we endeavored over the last few days I thought I would share my experience with the PRODUCTS tailored for the chigger inflicted - hopefully this BLOG will find the needy some night at 4:45 am when they are sleepless and desperate for help, as I was two nights ago

Listerine – yes, Listerine. Many peeps on the Internet claimed it works like a charm – BAH – maybe on one or two bites but 150??? NOT

Calamine – worked fairly well…but it didn’t work for very long

ChiggerRid – not sure, but I THINK this made me itch more!!! Thought I’m pretty sure that it worked to kill off the bugs from our friends…WE still had live bugs on us on Tuesday because after 1 application we stopped using it – our friends continued using ChiggerRid and weren’t getting new bites 2 days later soooo maybe should have continued using it…

After Bite – isn’t too bad but doesn’t work as well as Cortisone

Cortisone 10 – second best for itch but isn’t antiseptic - must be paired with an antiseptic to get rid of the infection

ChiggerEx – we went to 5 stores before we found this at Wal-Mart but it works absolutely the best – numbs the area, cools...AWESOME – may not be antiseptic

Campho Phenique - doesn’t really help the itch but we’ve been using because of the antiseptic

Lots and lots of Benedryl…at the worst was taking 2 tablets every 2-3 hours - probably WAY beyond the recommended dosage but I shudder to think how bad I would have felt without the Benedryl to take the edge off

The top cure for lots of bites that are driving you crazy -Prednisone This steroid prescribed by my WONDERFUL doctor blows all the others away – within 5 hours of the first dose the swelling had decreased like 50% and by the third dose the itch was manageable without Benedryl… UHM - causes MAJOR insomnia though. Do not take at night as it will likely make you a raving, wired, freak! But I think that is preferable to an itchy, crazy freak!

Additionally because we were continuing to get new bites after several hot showers and about 20 loads of laundry we used another Dr prescribed medication Elimite. This medication was created to kill scabies but because Chiggers are related we gave it a try...It worked like a charm...NUKE THE SITE - It Works!

BTW – the websites of the world CLAIM that hot showers will sluice off the bugs but my partner and I each took 4 hot showers between Sunday and Tuesday and had those bugs on us even after….AND we were doing loads and loads of laundry so as not to get them from sheets or clothes or towels etc… so I’m pretty sure we weren’t showering them off and getting them from the bed again…you know? Shower? Of course...but do something to nuke the site too!!!

Good luck! I am SOOOOOOOO sorry!